Regulations for weddings in Aruba while on Romantic vacations

Official Aruban Government Marriage Regulations

Civil weddings became legal for non-Aruban Residents as of January of 2002. For those who want to have a legal wedding in Aruba, please submit the following documents by fax to us at least 4 weeks prior to your planned wedding date;

1. Long form birth certificate with pertaining apostil for bride and groom

2. Negative statement of marriage for bride and groom OR notarized affidavit stating that the person in question is single and eligible to be wed

3. Copy of passport picture page OR copy of a valid, state issued photo I.D. for bride and groom.

4. Letter of intent for bride and groom

5. Copy of valid state issued I.D. OR Copy of Passport picture page OR Copy of legible birth certificate for witnesses (minimum 2 and maximum 4 witnesses can sit in for each couple. Witnesses have to be at least 18 years or older). If you do not have witnesses we can provide 2 for you at a fee of $40.00 each.

6. If applicable: 1st and last page of divorce decree(s) for bride and/or groom

7. If applicable: Copy of death certificate(s) if bride and/or groom are widowedOnce your wedding planner or representative receive these documents per fax he/she will deliver them to the registrar. He/she will inform you of his approval after which you will have to forward the originals to us by federal express or other overnight service (please do not use Express Service offered by the United States Postal Services as that is only express while going over US territory and becomes regular “snail mail” once it leaves US territory which can take up to 2 months to reach Aruba!). You do not have to forward the original passport or valid state issued photo I.D., but do include an additional copy of either in the package with the other originals.

Helpful Civil Ceremony Explanations

1) In Aruba, ALL legal/civil weddings have to take place within the confines of the civil town house, (a beautifully restored historic building), prior to solemnizing their union at their venue of choice.

2) The Civil Town House is open for weddings Monday through Friday from 10am through 12 noon and from 2.30 pm to 4.00pm and on Saturdays from 10.30am through 12.30pm

3) A long form birth certificate is a birth certificate that shows the city and state the person was born in as well as full names of parents including mother’s maiden name.

4) An apostille is a one-page document that authenticates the long form birth certificate

5) A negative statement of marriage is a document that proves that a person is single and eligible to be wed 6) A Letter of intent will be forwarded to you once you confirm to us that you will be using our services for your legal wedding. Please make 2 hard copies. Bride fills one out with her information on the top and grooms information on the bottom and bride signs that one and groom fills one out with his information on the top and bride’s information on the bottom and groom signs it.

7) Even if bride and/or groom have submitted divorce decree(s) and/or pertaining death certificate(s) they must also submit a negative statement of marriage which should be issued from the approximate date that the previous marriage was dissolved up to the date that the pertaining authorities have available.

8) For U.S. Citizens: Long form birth certificates, apostilles and negative statement of marriage are obtained at the bureau of vital statistics located in the department of health.

9) In the U.K.: Apostilles for the Birth Certificates are obtained at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

10) In Canada: Apostilles for the Birth Certificates are obtained either at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at the Cosulaat Generale in Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver

11) Proper attire is required at the civil town hall. No shorts, slippers, or cut-offs. Sun- or cocktail dress for the ladies. Slacks and a buttoned up shirt for the men. Full wedding attire is also a possibility


Return from Regulations to Honeymoon
Return from Regulations to Home